Friday 13 May 2011

Oops It's been a while

Ok, I admit it. I'm not good at keeping up with a blog. Between Caelin and staying sane it takes up all my time!

I've been spending a lot of my free time working on a cross-stitch pattern I've been working on for the last 4 months. It's one of a set of 4 from Mirabilia Designs called Summer Queen. Over the past 12 years or so I've finished Winter Queen and Autumn Queen, and there's still Spring Queen to go. However, Summer Queen has been taking me less time to complete than the other two. OK, maybe it's because it didn't end up in the UFO pile (yet).  However, my attention on it isn't flagging at all. I can do it and watch TV at the same time, and it's quiet to do while her nibs is taking a nap.

Here's a picture of Winter and Autumn Queen from Mirabilia's website.
Winter Queen: http://www.mirabilia.com/images/md13.jpg
Autumn Queen: http://www.mirabilia.com/images/md45.jpg
and the one I'm currently working on, Summer Queen: http://www.mirabilia.com/images/md22.jpg

I find them fascinating because there's beads and sometimes special threads etc. It's like needle paint-by-number.  This is the one handcraft I do that my mom doesn't do and has no interest in doing and that's fine by me. It appeals to my Virgo-ness of order (for the few things I want order in) and makes a pretty picture in the end. And I know it's silly but it's kinda nice to have a craft that's kind of my own.  Don't get me wrong, it's great to have a lot in common with your mother and learn off of her and get help when you need it. But sometimes it's nice to be different. Even if it's something that she's just not interested in.

My husband has asked me to embroider a fire screen for our fireplace, so I'm not quite sure whether I'm going to do that next or Spring Queen and get the set done. First things first tho, I need to finish Summer Queen!

It will also be a challenge as I'm thinking of doing it in Crewel work which is a bit more of a free form style of embroidery than I'm used to. I might also have to chat with my dad about making a wooden frame for it for me too. (easier to make it to fit the frame than to make a frame to fit it.

2 comments:

  1. It's not that I haven't done cross-stitch in the past! It's just not a current interest and anyhow, you are soooo much better at it than I ever was. ;)

    The secret to posting more often is to Just Do It! Ask me how I know. Heh. Try short posts if necessary. Need pictures too - for some bling. At least sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I know you could do it if you *WANTED* to. It's just not really a damselfly style craft that's all... I'm quite happy to have something you're not interested in. Really. =)

    ReplyDelete